GR Webster

A place to discuss anything of interest to collectors miniature airplanes

Moderators: grwebster, MichaelB, BWBrown, angelreader, ronc200

Re: GR Webster

Postby dsamuels » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:55 pm

By the way, here is his blurb bio, presumably written by him:

My Bio:
'GR' has amassed one of the largest collections of toy aircraft in the world. During his wartime military service in aerial combat in Vietnam, Captain Webster received double Distinguished Flying Crosses, the Air Medal for Valor, 30 Air Medals, the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, and 2 awards of the Cross of Gallantry commanding the 'Mustang' Gunship Platoon of the 68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'.

A graduate from the University of Chicago with a Masters Degree in Business Administration, he retired as Chief Executive Officer of Givaudan Fragrances Inc. following a 30 year career in international business at age 54. ‘GR’ founded The Plane News and later The Miniature Aircraft Quarterly, and more recently created the airplane toy collectors website http://www.miniatureaircraftcollectors.com.

He is an accomplished author, portrait painter, aerobatic pilot, seaplane pilot, and commercial helicopter pilot and lives mainly in France with his wife and three children.

Also, can everybody please sign their postings by name and location? Thanks.

Danny Samuels, Houston
dsamuels

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:07 pm

A detail photo showing GR at the dinner that night in Frostproof. I've added a pic he sent me of Vietnam.
Do you have photos? Please post them!
Michael
Attachments
MichaelB

Postby FETT1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:11 am

WOW..I'm shocked..and saddened ..this is very sad news .I have not been on the forums for some time and upon opening this thread I was shocked... :(

He was responsible for the MINI AIRPLANE magazine I used to receive many years ago...it was an AWESOME read everytime!

Sir you will be missed by all of us ..condolences to his family....

JASON
EDMONTON,ALBERTA,CANADA...

Sorry I do not know where GR is the picture...can someone PLEASE point him out...
thank you
FETT1

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:26 am

GR is the one on the right.
The caption is: Van, Dissel, GR at TanAn
MichaelB

Postby FETT1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:42 am

MichaelB wrote:GR is the one on the right.
The caption is: Van, Dissel, GR at TanAn

THANK YOU ..

:(
FETT1

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:10 am

This has just come in concerning memorials to GR. Jan 18th in Frostproof. I hope someone can go - I cannot make it.

First, on behalf of the family, let me express how touched we have been at the kind and thoughtful words, memories, and stories you have sent about my brother. I don't know how to convey how comforting and wonderful all the e-mails have been.

Secondly, I promised information about the services in honor of Geoff.

France: A funeral mass will be held
Saturday, January 11th at 10 a.m. at the Cathedrale de Grasse, Place du Petit Puit, 06130 Grasse.
The interment will be for the family only on Monday, January 13th.
United States: A Memorial Gathering to Celebrate the Life of Geoff "GR" Webster will be held:
Saturday, January 18th at 1:00 p.m. at the historic Ramon Theater, 15 East Wall Street, Frostproof, Florida.
A reception will follow at "Alligator Lodge," the Webster family home.
I have been asked about flowers. Flowers are welcome at either service. Alternatively, gifts can be made, in his honor, to your favorite charity.

Address for Agnes Webster:
If you would like to e-mail Agnes and the children, their e-mail is agnesfragonard@aol.com.
If you would like to send an old-fashioned letter, the mailing address is:
Mme. Agnes Costa Webster
Fragonard
20 Blvd Fragonard
Grasse 06130
France
Please call or e-mail me if you have any questions. (Please note that my phone will not work in Europe from 1/9 - 1/15, but e-mail will!)

Thank you again for all your kind wishes and thoughts.

Best,
Diana
Diana Webster Biehl
MichaelB

Postby johnbeugels » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 am

A great man and collector has left us. Never met a person who was so open minded in everthing he did. Not only the collecting community can be proud that he was one of us. You could always ask him a question and he was always very happy with any information on miniature aircraft. It was a nice time to assist him together with George when he wrote the famous book on Dinky Toy airplanes.
We will miss him every day.
Geoffrey, au revoir et merci beaucoup!

John Beugels.
johnbeugels

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Here's a terrible picture of GR in VietNam.
Attachments
MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:03 pm

Link to on-line tributes: I hope the link isn't broken, but you'll need to copy and paste. ...just checked, the link is good.

If anyone would like to see the tribute we published on Auction Central News, which also appears in Toy Collector Magazine, here is a link.:

http://auctioncentralnews.com/index.php ... webster-68

Over 400 people have already viewed the tribute in less than 24 hours, which is a testament to how respected and well liked GR was within the collecting community.

Catherine Saunders-Watson
MichaelB

Postby Tone » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:32 am

I am so sorry to hear this news.

Geoff was just so influential because of his enthusiasm for miniature planes and he inspired many of us.

My condolences to his family.
Tone

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion