GR Webster

A place to discuss anything of interest to collectors miniature airplanes

Moderators: grwebster, MichaelB, BWBrown, angelreader, ronc200

Re: GR Webster

Postby Aeronaut » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:30 am

Very sad news indeed!!

GR was a true gentleman and will be thoroughly missed.

My condolences to the family.

RIP

Cristian Gandolfo
Dallas, Texas
Aeronaut

Postby uk 75 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Another great man lost to us.

I was fortunate enough to be in on the original IMAC plane news in the 80s after meeting George Cox and Graham Cowell and then Geoff Noble.
Some years later in 1997 I managed to get to one of the legendary New Jersey events and also to the Schipol aircraft do in Amsterdam.
It was great to discover this site and carry on the adventure.

I hope that GR will be remembered for a long time by those of us he encouraged and helped along the way.

uk 75 (ralph)
uk 75

Postby 737 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:39 am

I am very sorry to hear of G.R.'s passing. I never met him in person, but have enjoyed corresponding with him since the early days of The Plane News. I fear that with his departure also leaves a tremendous and unprecedented amount of knowledge on our hobby. He was always eager to share his vast expertise and mastery in a most enthusiastic and never condescending way. He will be sorely missed around the world.

Thomas Howard

Postby alas » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:56 am

My condolences to Mrs Webster, Jim, George, and Helene.
How they'll miss their great father...
Arne Lasance
alas

Postby PennTexas53 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Our leader and mentor is gone, decades too soon.

My deepest condolences to Mme Webster and the children, GR was a kind and great man.

I was likely one of the most recent to meet GR, having been invited to the 2012 Frostproof MAC show hosted by GR at his amazing home. GR was legendary, his grace and knowledge were indeed impressive to behold. His discussions were encyclopedic, conducted with the utmost subtlety and kindness; his years as a CEO polished his earlier reputation as a Vietnam Gunship pilot. GR was truly a renaissance man, a gentleman in every sense of the word. He served his country with great honor in an unpopular war, earning all his medals and awards by always thinking of his aircrews, and the mission at hand above all else.

I was most impressed when GR sat down with me at the Frostproof show in the Community Hall, to find out about my collecting background and the items I had brought to trade. I had some duplicate Derek Barratt SR-71's in 1/144 scale, which GR said he had been seeking for some time. I was honored and surprised to have something that interested him; it seemed he already had every model ever made, in his collection.

GR asked me what my most unusual interest in aircraft collecting was, and I mentioned airport hangers and terminal buildings. GR smiled broadly and said he had some things I might be interested in. He had a box of assembled plastic kits of 1/200 to 1/400 assorted european terminal buildings. As I looked through the ancient and esoteric items, GR said 'most people think this is only junk, but I know it has some slight historic value. I would like you to have it, as long as you will display it in your collection'. I told GR I would be honored and delighted; he would not take a penny for the entire box. He said I was doing him a favor by helping to clear out one more box from storage. Those terminal models now frame my 1905's era propliners in my collection today; Thank you, GR.

GR asked me about my background and collecting interests, so I told him of my parents' early life as flying boat and seaplane pilots; and how that interest had lasted all my life, despite my medical issues that kept me from flying. He surprised me by telling me how disappointed he was to have recently lost his pilot's license and sold his Lake Amphibian. I told him how sorry I was for that turn of events, and hoped he had many happy years of flying. GR told me he did indeed fly most of his life, and it gave him great joy to do so. He said the experience was matched only by the friends he met and made along the way.

I knew at the time that weekend was very special, as GR announced he would be reducing his collection. As 2012 passed into 2013, a MAC show was planned for Houston in the fall, to coincide with the Airliner Show. We were all excited to think our mentor and guide in all things aero might come and preside, but that was not to be. Michael Bludworth coordinated a great show at the Historic Hobby Air Terminal, and other than all of us seriously missing GR, it was a fine show. We all were looking forward to the next MAC meet, hoping to see GR again, at some tine in 2014.

Now, we will always miss him...
Our prayers for GR and our deepest condolences go to his family and all his friends around the world.
Rest In Peace GR, you will never be forgotten.

Scott C. Sechrist
MAC
TOTS
1/144 & 1/200 flying boats
PennTexas53@yahoo.com
PennTexas53

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:33 pm

A nice sentiment, Scott...I'm still coming to grips with GR's passing. I still find something, or see something and immediately think "GR would find that interesting" and then deal with him not being available. He was always interested, even in my "crappy" (his words!) toy airplanes! :D ...forevermore...
...so much to grieve here...and so much to celebrate from the 2012 meeting in Frostproof! I'm glad I went! ...nevermore....
Michael
Attachments
MichaelB

Postby ramseyd » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Michael,
I know we are all grieving for our loss. GR was such a remarkable person and can never be replaced. His spirit, knowledge, compassion, and love of sharing is something we can all aspire to. A tragedy to lose him so soon.

As I have not seen any mention in the forum, here is information on the Funeral and Memorial Gathering taken from his sister Diana's note.

France: A funeral mass was held Saturday, January 11th at 10 a.m. at the Cathedrale de Grasse, Place du Petit Puit, 06130 Grasse. Interment was held on Monday, January 13th.

United States: A Memorial Gathering to Celebrate the Life of Geoff "GR" Webster will be held:
Saturday, January 18th at 1:00 p.m. at the historic Ramon Theater, 15 East Wall Street, Frostproof, Florida. A reception will follow at "Alligator Lodge," the Webster family home.

Flowers are welcome. Alternatively, gifts can be made, in his honor, to your favorite charity.

My wife and I are planning to attend. We live outside of Orlando, so is only a couple hours drive to Frostproof.
Dennis
ramseyd

Postby m94x » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:06 pm

My sincerest condolences to his family.
m94x

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Dennis...please convey condolences from all of us here at MAC...old timers and newbies!
GR was the greatest!
Michael

PS: Please take pictures!
MichaelB

Postby ramseyd » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Geoffrey "GR" Webster's Memorial Service and " A Celebration of Life" was held Saturday January 18th at the Ramon Theater, 15 East Wall Street in Frostproof, Florida. As most forum members were not able to attend I wanted to share a little of the "Celebration of his Life". First, GR was a true war hero, having been shot down twice in Vietnam. I heard from several of his fellow veterans on his bravery, integrity, generosity, loyalty, and how capable he was as an officer. He was honored with both the family remembrances and a military funeral including the flag folding and a 21 gun salute followed by taps.

The attached photos are copies of the handouts from the service. His fellow veterans had set up a table which is captured in another photo. During the service Diana, his sister, read several emails from a couple of MAC members.. At the end of the service, GR's three lovely children handed out Styrofoam airplanes to everyone and everyone, in a coordinated effort, flew their planes for GR. I know GR would have enjoyed this, and could imagine him smiling down on us as we celebrated his love of aviation.

After the service, we met at his house in Frostproof where I was able to talk to his wife, sisters, and brother and expressed my condolences from the MAC group. I know we will all miss GR, as he was something truly special as a person and fellow collector. I am thankful to have been able to call him a friend. Diana informed me that his wife Agnes, is putting together a scrapbook for his children and would appreciate any fond remembrances from his fellow collectors. You can email Diana directly at websterbiehl@verizon.net or Agnes at agnesfragonard@aol.com.
Dennis
Attachments
Outside Handout
Inside
ramseyd

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion