My Dubena DC-7

For discussion of finished and assembled models from kits, scratch-built models, and snap-fit kit models.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader, dasimperator

My Dubena DC-7

Postby dasimperator » Thu May 20, 2010 10:48 pm

Picked up another Dubena kit. This time it's their DC-7 model

My_Dubena_DC-7-01.JPG
My_Dubena_DC-7-01.JPG (56.27 KiB) Viewed 7096 times

One of the last piston-engined airliners intended for mainline service...

My_Dubena_DC-7-02.JPG
My_Dubena_DC-7-02.JPG (76.96 KiB) Viewed 7096 times

...the DC-7 was plagued by engine reliability 'issues' and were the first to be sold off by airlines when jets joined their fleet.

My_Dubena_DC-7-03.JPG
My_Dubena_DC-7-03.JPG (78.1 KiB) Viewed 7096 times
dasimperator

Re: My Dubena DC-7

Postby dasimperator » Thu May 20, 2010 10:51 pm

My_Dubena_planes.JPG
My_Dubena_planes.JPG (74.33 KiB) Viewed 7095 times

Left - my Dubena Convair CV-880 - Right - My Dubena Douglas DC-7
dasimperator

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Nice kits! I just got some decals made for my Dubena Electra and during assembly I was impressed by the castings! The undercarriage and props leave a bit to be desired; it scaled out at 1/239. Pictures when I have results.
(PS: Speaking of pictures, I have been scanning in lots of old film pictures of late and part of those were shots for TPN and MAQ! All I can say is: God Bless the Digital Camera! That was an expensive group of crappy pictures! Now each one is a winner! ...and no waiting!)
MichaelB

Postby Tone » Sat May 22, 2010 12:23 am

I love DC-7Cs, I wish I could've had a flight in one when they were new, but that was about nine years before I was born. I do make up for that loss with my little collection of them, of which the Dubena is not among them! (Probably because it is a plastic model kit and not a toy - though I do have some kits).
Tone

Postby MichaelB » Sat May 22, 2010 1:13 am

My last big propliner flight was in a Delta DC-7B from Atlanta to DC in the summer of 1968. I sat in the lounge forward of the engines, facing backwards. At the time I remember remarking to myself "Wow...a prop plane..haven't seen one in a long time". National Airport in DC was too short to accommodate the new jetliners, so service by the last propliners and Electras continued a bit longer. After that summer Delta would retire it's last piston airplanes and use the new DC-9 on the route.
Beyond that I also flew in Braniff and EAL Electras, EAL DC-7Bs and Constellations, and Braniff DC-6s and everybody's Convairs! Some memories are vivid, others are only wisps...
However...my past is coming back to me...click on the link and read the comments...
http://blogs.chron.com/bayoucityhistory ... rpo_1.html
MichaelB

Postby dasimperator » Sat May 22, 2010 2:37 am

MichaelB wrote:Nice kits! I just got some decals made for my Dubena Electra and during assembly I was impressed by the castings! The undercarriage and props leave a bit to be desired; it scaled out at 1/239. Pictures when I have results.

Another post on the topic mentioned that the Dubena kits were reissues of the Siku line of toy aeroplanes in kit form - hence the toy-like landing gear.

The 1/239 scale mates up nicely with my collection of AeroMini jets...

Dubena_AeroMini__Gemini.JPG
Dubena_AeroMini__Gemini.JPG (91.79 KiB) Viewed 7081 times

...and my Gemini Jets DC-8-61
dasimperator

Return to Assembled Models