New Brand: Schuman

For cereal premiums, airline promotional items

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:29 pm

Amongst a lot of other loose toy airplanes, I found two items that were new to me. Surprisingly both came from the same maker. One is a Pan Am DC-6 with the legend (in German, but here, translated) "The Worlds Most Experienced Airline" across the wing and "Pan American World Airways" on the aircraft title board.
Common to both pieces is the script name of what I would expect to be the toy maker: Schuman. I can't put an umlaut over the U, but that is what is indicated.
Elsewhere there is also the notation: "GES GESCH" which I can extrapolate as "Georg E. Schuman Company", yes?
The DC-6 - tiny as it is - has three bladed props, embossed windows and other accurate spotting details. That said, it's pretty clunky and as you can see from the photos, the nose of the airplane is a big, blue insert. This could be a weight to keep the nose down, but there are 4 landing pegs to do that.
The other aircraft seems to be a fictitious aircraft looking somewhat like a C-119. However there is a canopy on top, no engines and again - the big blue nose insert. It is also mostly clear, unlike the DC-6 which is white. It also has the Schuman script and GES GESCH legends.
I also have an SAS DC-6 which is clear green with "The Flying Dutchman" on the wings but certainly, no big blue insert! I will go pull it and take a closer look to see if it shares any of these features.
No question that these are real odd balls but there is no denying a PAA promotional item!
Can any of our German friends add some knowledge about this toy plastic company?
Thanks
Michael
Attachments
The Two Planes and a US quarter.
Schuman script
The PAA DC-6
MichaelB

Re: New Brand: Schuman

Postby hovermd » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:12 pm

I'm not familiar with these Schuman toys.

A while ago, I purchased a couple unmarked candy containers from a German seller that are similar in style and construction.

Here is a photo:

Unknown Plastic Cany Containers
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:26 pm

Yes indeed! You made me go and pull on those blue nose cones! ...they both removed quite easily!
These could only have contained just a speck of candy - they are so small!
Are there any maker marks on your "aircraft"?
Michael
MichaelB

Postby hovermd » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:55 am

How about that!

The toys I purchased are marked "Made in W Germany," but there's no manufacturer name.
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:43 am

My airliner is clearly marked "Pan American World Airways" and "The Worlds Most Experienced Airline" (in German) and certainly seems to be a DC-6, which PAA used in it's German service, so I would suspect it's from about 1960 or so. Naturally, "West German" is good until the mid '90s...
Michael
MichaelB

Postby Tone » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:23 am

Ges Gesch is a kind of German patent.
Tone

Postby MichaelB » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Gesch. is an abbreviation for "Gesellschaft" which is German for "Company" or "Incorporation".
MichaelB

Return to Plastic Promotional Give-Aways