Antiques Roadshow

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

Antiques Roadshow

Postby Aeronaut » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:18 am

At the Roadshow on PBS tonight there was beautiful metal model of the Dornier Do-X flying boat. Vintage and contemporary to the real thing. It has a plaque as it seems to have been a presentation piece to somebody who participated on the design. The show is Biloxi, Hour 3

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/watch/ ... xi-hour-3/
Aeronaut

Re: Antiques Roadshow

Postby Aeronaut » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:13 pm

The video is now available. The Do-X section starts at 35:23 minutes.
Aeronaut

Antiques Roadshow

Postby Tone » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:52 pm

I saw that plane. It looked good but I think the prices dealers ask are, well, unrealistic, given today's cost of living and the general lack of interest in antiques and collectibles, no matter how fine and rare.

I remember the appraiser mentioning the Hubley cast iron toys of the DO-X. However, he forgot to mention the Fleischmann painted tin wind-up toy and the DUX constructor kit. Perhaps the time was limited, or else he had never heard of them.

I can remember going to toy shows back in the 90s and seeing cast iron (Hubley low-wing Lockheed in dark blue and orange) and tin (French-made Latecoere 531 "Lieutenant-de-Vaisseau Paris") planes with $7,500.00 asking prices. Also, a metal model DC-6 with underwing jet pods in addition to its four props. It is a wonder the dealers were able to sell them!
Tone

Return to Manufacturer's Models